How can I be happy when I am unemployed?
Staying positive is going to take an effort in itself, but it is worth it. Try these ideas below:
- Read something positive every day. There are so many sources for positive and inspirational reading: books, magazines, and blogs just to name a few. Focusing on the positive, even when it is someone else’s story or post, will push you to think more positively.
- Be grateful for the time you have now. How many weeks of vacation did you have when you were working? Being out of work is not the exact same thing, I get that. But, it’s also not the exact different thing either, is it?
- Get up early and exercise. One of the biggest mistakes that people make is getting into a habit of waking up late, not getting dressed for the day because they are just going to be at home, and just meandering through their day. If you are not the first person up in your house, you are already doing something wrong. Exercise is a great way to start the day in a positive way! First, it gets you moving and pumps endorphins through your body. Second, it starts you along a more positive routine, which will come in handy when you are working again.
- Stick to a schedule. Don’t just stop at exercising in the morning. Keep a set schedule in order to keep you from dwelling on the fact that you are out of work. It is hard to feel sorry for yourself when you are moving from activity to activity throughout your day. Now is a good time to work on some time management skills. Make sure that there are activities scheduled throughout your day that supports your work search.
- Talk to positive people. Seriously, don’t hang out by yourself all day. You know people who are free during the day, whether because they are a stay at home parent or if they have a non-standard work schedule. Too much time alone keeps you in your head for way too long. Even the best of us will have trouble keeping our heads out of the ‘feel-sorry-for-myself’ gutter.
I know that it can be difficult to stay positive when you are unemployed. I’ve been there. Understand that having a positive mindset is the most important, most productive, and most profitable thing that you can do. Start with the 5 examples above and see if you can add others. If you have thoughts on others, let us and your fellow readers know below.